COVID-19 Update for September 16 2020 – 2:45pmSeptember 16, 2020
Today, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau held a news conference following the wrap-up of the federal government’s cabinet retreat.
Safe Restart Agreement
Trudeau provided more detail on federal funding to help provinces and territories safely restart the economy through the Safe Restart Agreement, which was originally announced on July 16, 2020.
Provinces and territories were asked to outline in letters how more than $19 billion would best be allocated within their jurisdictions, based on their priorities. The premiers have now submitted the letters and the federal funding will be transferred to the provinces and territories.
Funding will support the provinces and territories in their delivery and management of COVID-related response under seven key priorities:
- Testing, contact tracing, and data management
- Health care capacity, including mental health and substance use
- Protecting vulnerable populations, including seniors in long-term care facilities
- Securing personal protective equipment
- Child care for returning workers
- Support for municipalities, including for public transit
- Sick leave
The Prime Minister also indicated the speech from the throne next week will focus primarily on priorities to keep Canadians safe. He said that the economy will be addressed, but that we are not out of the pandemic yet.
“We will present a throne speech that will show our direction in the coming months and years. A cleaner and greener recovery will be part of that rebuild,” he said.
We hope you are finding these COVID-19 updates useful. In addition to trying to keep on top of the fast-changing situation, Enterprise is also working to support local charities during these challenging times. If you are able, your contributions to this effort would be deeply appreciated.
To donate, please click on the organization below:
- Toronto – Food Banks Canada
- Thunder Bay – Food Banks North West
- Hamilton/Niagara – Hamilton Food Share
- Alberta – Hope Mission
Stay safe. Stay healthy.
The Enterprise Team